Welcome

Please...get ready to read a bit of everything...

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life and Death

Brad and I have this strange taste when it comes to movies, TV shows and documentaries. We always have. The day of the one year anniversary of his leukemia dx we watched “My sister’s keeper”, the movie of the girl with leukemia whose parents have another girl to help her save her sister's life. Last night we watched “You don’t know Jack”, the movie about Dr. Death (Jack Kevorkian). Both cases very controversial, both deal with life and death and your right to live your life in a way that allows you certain level of dignity and quality of life.

I’m a religious person. I do believe in God. My issue is not only where to stop a person from suffering but when does medicine need to stop?. Why is it OK to disconnect someone and let them die from lack of oxygen and starvation and it is not right to let them die when they can’t go on?. When their condition is so bad, they just don’t want to live anymore in suffering? Is it ok to kill them and not to let them die? Where do we draw the line? Why?

When do we start playing God? When do we end? How do you know the difference between just trying to save a life and playing God? If I’m ever in the position of deciding over a loved one or over my own fate, I’ll try to go without suffering. I don’t want suffering and I know my God, the one I love, doesn’t want me to suffer either. His mercy and love is too big for me to think otherwise. Not too sure anyone we’ll be able to help me if the time comes, but isn’t it selfish to try to have a useless, suffering body with you just because you can’t let go?

Facing the possibility of death is very difficult, especially when you really don’t expect it, like Brad and I have this last year. At the same time, that sole fact, changes your perspective completely. Dying is as natural as living, only most of us don’t really get it.

I will keep writing about this topic and the emotions and thoughts that come to my mind in coming entries.

Dr. Kevorvian's bio

No comments:

Post a Comment